View Single Post
Old 04-20-2006, 12:25 PM
I miss my MBZ

(where are the Hams on here ?)

When you get up into the higher frequencies -800Mhz and higher (2.4Ghz for newer cell phones ?) The signal is more drastically affected by objects in between the Reciever and the transmitter.

How about this - an average wall will affect a cell phone signal (800Mhz) more than an FM radio signal (97Mhz). Hence the above comment about foam insulation - I'd venture to guess that once you are in teh 1.2Ghz or 2.4Ghz range that if the long axis of a wall stud (2x4) is between the phone and the tower then that will noticeably affect your signal.

Remember also, that if you are using the numnber of "bars" as ametric - it is a slow-reacting one - the phone doesnt update the bars instantaneous (my guess also)

One more thing I noticed - the frequencies in use - if your phone is a 1900Mhz (1.9Ghz) then what else is creating interference/using those frequencies - your computer (mine runs at 2000Mhz), your microwave oven, I think that WiFi networks run aroun 2.4Ghz - any thing that transmits or makes "noise" at a frequency near what your phone is using will cause it to lose signal.

Hams - correct my info here - I know I dont have it all right.

-John
(insert Mercedes here)

Husband, Father, sometimes friend =)