View Single Post
Old 04-25-2006, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymr
I suspect we will be learning lots of lessons from Europe. They have had high quality small cars for decades, whereas in the US small still equates junk. One thing is for sure: The future is NOT mass transit. After 15 years of subway ridership, I finally have a job where I don't have to take the subway, and I am not going back.
I'm from the UK, so I'm probably biased but I think that mass transit works - when I was living and working in London I didn't own a car, and I managed with the above-ground trains south of the river (where I lived and worked), or the tube when north.

In Seattle, they're converting the three-stop underground bus tunnel into light rail, with one station just one block from my office downtown. If they'd connect central Kitsap county to it, I'd take that light rail in a heartbeat.

There were plenty of small cars in the UK/Europe that are coming over here. I saw a couple of Toyota Yaris' (one of the cars that we were also considering, but went for the Honda Fit as mentioned above), and when mentioning to my relatives that I had a 'small 2.8 liter' engine, some of them revealed that they had 1000cc engines in their cars.

1993 300E2.8 - 196K
2001 E320 4MATIC - 86K