View Single Post
Old 04-26-2006, 01:19 AM

Public Transit

I used to ride public transit when I worked at CNN. It was a really enjoyable experience actually. I would drive my new Volvo to the marta lot (a whopping total of 2 miles both ways) and park it there for the day. Jump on the train and ride it all the way down to CNN center. It worked well because I lived near a station with parking and CNN center had its own train stop. The only mileage I put on the new car was personal mileage and the 2 miles a day to and from work. There were problems of course when I needed to go somewhere for work I could not just jump in the car out of the parking deck I would have to take the train to my car and then drive to where I needed and back to the station and take the train back.

The main problem with public transport is that most public transport systems are considered "low end". Most of the riders of the public transport system ride it because they cant afford cars. Therefore the public transport people have no real desire to provide a decent experience. Here in Atlanta the trains going to the airport and to other downtown areas are rather efficient while the rest of the system is total crap.

I have considered doing public transit but there is not a train station close to me anymore. Additionally you do spend more time taking public transit then you do driving due to waiting for the train/bus and walking to your destination.

Until we overcome the "low end" idea of public transit most people will consider themselves above riding it. For example take prepaid mobile phone service. Here in the US it has not caught on well because of the "low end" connotations and its being marketed towards buyers with sub prime credit. In Europe most mobile phone service is prepaid because there is no stigma attached to being frugal.