View Single Post
Old 05-15-2006, 12:25 AM

Oil filter conflict

Dog -

My knowledge of MB diesels can be summed up in the fact that I know what that funny little extra thing on the dash with the holes in it which glowed red in my (transmission donor) 115 220D was and now know how to turn the key and wait in my (next transmission donor) 123 240D until the yellow light goes out, before cranking.

Many race cars, etc (and the sophisticated flathead V-8 in my 52 Ford F1 pickup) use oil lines to a separate filter canister. Would it be possible to get around the problem with a machined flange and lines, that way? Whassa problem - crossmember conflict?

What about other turbo issues - wiring/sensor harnesses; plumbing of various sorts; extra relays, etc - all transplantable from his donor? How different from a 115 unblown 300D is all the other stuff that hangs off a 617 turbo? Both my 115 220D and 123 240D four-bangers appear to have YARDS of room fore-and-aft for another cylinder and all sorts of pieces-parts...compared to either the M114, M130 or M110 versions of same I have which have managed to fit in TWO more cylinders. I mean, you could lose a small child down onto the bellhousing, in the 240D!
What about those frequency- and torque- tuned design parts, such as motor mounts, reinforced flex discs, etc?

jfman - I assume you have the turbo's transmission, still - for its shift points and perhaps more robust design?

Okay...SOMEBODY on this forum has either done this or knows someone who has - Dog, any other places he should search/ask?

Or, let's ask the guy who's working on BOTH 300D's - "Wodnek", ya there?

Stan
70 250/8
72 250C
78 280CE