View Single Post
Old 05-16-2006, 05:05 AM
Coming back from burnout

Restoration vice Repair...Much more time, money and guilt!

Hi, I am rebuilding my 85 300D, I have torn down to the stage where it looks like the body just came off the assembly line. New interior, new front end, new tires, new paint,major rust repair the list goes on and on
In REPAIR, the most you ever do is spend a week, and its not always on your mind and no matter what mistakes you make, or how many fingers you bruise, you go away smiling because you've saved yourself a ton of money, learned something new , and seen it done right. The car is your servant and your view is tunnel visioned to the repair only. you might spot rust or something else that doesnt work, but hey that doesnt keep your car from running...
In RESTORATION, the car is no longer a servant. Its your master! Every defect, no matter how small drives you crazy. Instead of being frugal, tons of money go flying out of your wallet and its kind of like having another family member. The guilt starts to build as time from your family disappears, money goes, and your focus wanders from work and family and you daydream about paintjobs and powder coat. You start looking for things you never cared about before like walnut panels and even OEM screws. You even start spending vacation days. "Oh my God," you despair, " as you wake up in the middle of night form a nightmare that the new interior you stored in the garage caught on fire,"I should be spending this time on my job or my daughter"
I kind of miss the days of simple repair.......

Last edited by Carrameow; 05-16-2006 at 08:09 AM.