View Single Post
Old 09-03-2001, 05:35 AM
clmiller

Unhappy ARGHH!!! It Hurts!! (Got to vent!!!)

I purchased my baby last November. Used to be "a car is just a car" type of guy. Now I am spoiled. I was just ready to turn 297,000 miles on my beautiful '87 300D Turbo when I was rear-ended this evening.

I was stopped at a light, when a woman in a Mazda Protege hit the Nissan Z behind me. His front end slid right over my rear bumper and punched the trunk. Took care of the trunk and lid, rear lights on both sides, and both the rear panels buckled by the wheel wells. Too bad he couldn't have hit the bumper square on or slid underneath.

Important things first: Fortunately both my kids were strapped in and were not hurt. In fact, no one was hurt. I'm glad we were in the Mercedes and not my wife's Camry. Everything worked the way it's supposed to. Even though the light lenses were shattered, all the taillights still work.

But now, the aggravation...
Tonight a Motrin and tomorrow we visit the chiropractor. Tuesday a trip to the Insurance company and then start searching for reputable body shop. Anybody have some leads in the Huntington Beach or Orange County area?

Of course, with this car being 14-15 years old with high mileage, what will the Ins. Co, decide to do? Pay for quality body work or try to total the car? My wife has been off work since April and now is not the time for additional expenses.

Ramble, ramble, vent, vent...

Of course if I do have to get rid of it, I'll be looking for a W123.

--Craig
1987 300D Turbo
Smoke/Palomino
297,000 miles on original engine and transmission