View Single Post
Old 09-03-2001, 10:59 AM
Steve019

They tried to pull the total thing on me in an old Ford pickup I have. Problem was I had just rebuilt/replaced everything on it and gave it a paint job. After some negotiation (cussing and discussing) we came to an agreement. Insurance companies will give you as little as they can. In a lot of cases their repair estimates cover cheap replacement parts, not original. My truck only bluebooked for 1500. I could have sold it on the street for an easy 4000. (it was practically a new truck) They tried to get away with giving me 1500 and hoped I would go away. I did not accept it. I ended up getting the 1500 and keeping my truck. I replaced the tailgate, bed, bumper etc and repainted myself.
You might look on nada.com or similar sites to get an idea of your cars value from their prospective. Also get estimates from reputable body shops, specify original parts. Make sure you cover everything. Once you cash the check its over. Also if your vehicle is inop demand a temp vehicle, if nothing else use this cost to you as a negotiating tool.

Medical claims are handled separatly.