View Single Post
Old 05-18-2006, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigzmickey
Don't forget the remote activation & moving vehicle problems to overcome!
Mick, the remote is incorporated into the design already. The four NAND gates at the left of the schematic accomplish implementing a 1-button remote. As for the moving vehicle, nobody has PM'd or emailed me about it. And since I'm not interested in any of this for myself, and I have no intention of selling a product -- I'm just interested in the challenge of the design -- I have not developed a circuit to enable operation while in motion. If anyone asks for it, I'll design it, prototype it, and debug it. I imagine the design would follow along the lines described below.

For safety, the soft top controller receives redundant speed signals from separate sources. When the vehicle is stationary, I believe these are at chassis ground voltage potential. When the vehicle is in motion, an AC voltage is received by the soft top controller, and the frequency of this signal is proportional to the vehicle speed. Now, to implement your feature, it is a simple matter to make the controller see ground potential below 30 MPH and show it the actual speed above 30 MPH. And that can be done by processing the vehicle speed with a frequency-to-voltage converter IC that would have a reference voltage and output a high signal when the vehicle was over 30 MPH and a low signal otherwise. This digital signal would then be AND'ed with the actual speed signal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaUK
BT99

If the logic levels are 12V? shouldn't those be 4000 series http://www.standardics.philips.com/products/hef/ - 4011B for the 2 I/P NAND ( 7403) and a 4025 for the 3 I/P NOR (7427) ?
Oh absolutley! I noted this on a post at the MBWorld forum. The schematic shows 7400 series because my PSPICE is an evaluation copy that has models for these but not for the 4000 series. DOH!

I got the NANDs from a local electronics store but have had to order the NORs and am waiting for them to arrive. They should be here in a day or two.