View Single Post
Old 05-21-2006, 08:07 PM

delivery valve-injector pump nightmare

Hi,
Let me start by saying great forum. I have an 86 190d. it is leaking out if the delivery valves and off the ip and runs down the engine. I did a search on this forum and read a discussion about replacing the o-rings and the copper washers. I decided I would replace the o-rings today. I removed the intake manifold and the injector lines to access the delivery valves. I started in the back of the pump and removed the holding plates for the two valves in the back. I removed the first one and collected the parts. Put the new o-ring on and tightened it down. I didn't use a torq wrench but used what I would hope was about the same force to take it off. I did this to all of the delivery valves. I did remove the very bottom part in the valve on the first 2 but after seeing I could do what i needed without removing everything, I left the rest alone. The copper rings looked ok or as good as the new ones so I left them alone. I put the injector lines and intake manifold back on. Expecting it to not start right away I put some ether in. After a while it got to the point of almost starting. It was sputtering. After turning over a little more, it finally started. It then ran away. I ran out to depress the shut off and it was either down already or i pressed it down. Nothing happened. I then had my friend cover the intake which slowed it some. I then disconnected the front 2 fuel lines and it stopped. Needless to say i'm not well. I *think* I saved it. Last night even though it was leaking some it was running fine, getting 40mpg. Everything seemed ok before I worked on it. Anyone here have any idea how I almost killed or did kill my car? I did read some of the runaway diesel threads but can't tell what I might have done. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I've put a lot of time and money in fixing up this car and i'd hate myself if i ruined it. Thanks everyone in advance again... i hope it's not over.

After looking in my manuel the part I also removed seems to be something below the delivery valve carrier. I can't seem to locate it. This was removed on the back two valves.

James

Last edited by james221; 05-21-2006 at 09:49 PM.