View Single Post
Old 05-27-2006, 08:51 AM

Thumbs up Looking for 300D info

This is my first post after lurking for the past week, I'm looking for info in reguards to the 240-300D engines, Long story I will be putting one of these engines in my 91Toyota 4Runner, which up until a week ago has been a diesel for the past 3 years...but because of the design flaws with the Toyota Diesel engine(2LT) I'm tired of repairing blown engines. I have seen and driven a converted 86 Toyota 4x4 that someone installed a 300D in. The install swap is easy enough, but my questions are more related to the engine its self:

How does the 240 compare to the 300D with reguards to power? as the 300D I drove in the LIGHT toyota truck was very sluggish, it struggled at 100kph and will lose speed on slight grades. the truck is geared with 4:10 gears and used the factory toyota tranny, the fellow who did the swap used 1/34inch exhaust and the factory gas catalitic converter!!! (I suspect this is partially plugged or so restrictive the engine cant breathe) except for this he did an exceptional swap.
I would like to use the 300TD but cant find one locally, so I will likely proceed with the 300D until a donar engine can be found (or convert a turbo to the 300d IF it can be done without engine failure)
Next Question is where can I find a standard flywheel to fit the 300/240D engines? I believe that it was not offered in the 300D in North America. the fellow who did the swap cant remember where/what exactly he got his flywheel from but believes it was from a gas Mercedes engine.
I ask about the 240 because it's overall length will make it easier to install in my engine bay, and was curious if it would be a viable option as a potential engine for my truck
I'll save my other questions as I've still more searching to do thur this forum, and will post If I cant find the answers I'm looking for
BTW this site is a wealth of info.. Well done folks!!

Last edited by nickg; 05-27-2006 at 08:59 AM.