View Single Post
Old 06-04-2006, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William73
Has anyone ever put a Diesel trany with a gas engine? I know you could do this with V.W. Rabits. It gives you higher gears. Higher top speed and lower rpms at a given speed. I don't even know if there is a single M.B. engine that would hook up to a trany out of a Diesel, but it would be neat.
I doubt that a diesel tranny would alter the actual top speed gearing of a 'gas' drive train as the top gear ratio of any trans (as i understand) is always 1:1, any noticable differences would be in the intermediate gear ratio's which would be set-up to suit the different torque/engine type applications.

The main 'gearing' difference between gas and diesel vehicles is in the final drive which, in the case of diesel (due to its greater torque at lower engine revs), is a higher ratio than the gas engined equivalent and this is what gives the higher speed/lower revs advantage.

In the case of the VW Rabbit you mention, the difference in top speed, etc is because the Rabbit tranny is a front wheel drive 'transaxle' (this is a combined gearbox/final drive all in one unit) where the "higher top speed", etc is a result of the 'built in' final drive ratio of the diesel transaxle which is a higher ratio than if it were for a 'gas' engined Rabbit.