View Single Post
Old 06-05-2006, 12:42 AM
Dieseldiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by William73
Well that makes sense. So the gear ratio in the differential of a Diesel car is different then that of a gasoline car. Do you know what the ratio in my '80 300D would be? Has anyone ever put a diff. from a Diesel in there gasoline car? And, if I havn't asked too many questions already, could a rearend in a Diesel handle the higher H.P. of a gas engine. Thanks.
The diff will handle all the HP the gasser can deliver and is very beefy. A diesel has more torque than the gas engines available in the 123 chassis so it is not going to fail unless you find 300 HP or more for it.
The '80 200D is, I believe, 3.46 and the ratio is stamped on the lower left ear of the housing.
I moved the 3.07 diff from my '83 300D turbo into my '71 220 (gasser w/ stick shift) and it improved the top end very much and the engine isn't revved up all the way like it was to do 70. You may not want to do this with a automatic trans though, a stick shift can handle the swap much better without lugging.
Swapping differentials is the easiest way to alter performance but you can go too far if your'e not careful of the set up your running as well as your anticipated driving conditions like whether you have to drive in the mountains and so on start to factor in.
Gassers are more critical than a diesel because of possible lugging due to steeper torque curves.