View Single Post
Old 06-09-2006, 04:53 PM
German dogs prefer Benzes

Cazzzidy,
You don't mention how many miles a month/yr you plan to drive, but let me hit you with another point to consider:

70's cars are generally NOT fuel economy critters. You will have to look for a Euro (which can be problems to register) 4/6 banger with a manual trans. to get a car that gets high mileage. OR a diesel, but diesels are going for top $$$ these days.

Now, I have a 77 450SEL. I get about 13 total mpg (although most of my miles are highway). That's not so good. I could about get twice that with a smaller/newer car.

BUT... I paid next to nothing for my car, and I get magnificent ride quality and V8 torque, smoothness and power. If you aren't driving a ton of miles, low mileage isn't such a big deal when you consider the low purchase price.

BTW, I paid $801.51 for my one-owner 124,000 mile car with complete service history on eBay. My savings in low purchase price amounts to a lot of fill ups. I watch my miles, try to combine trips whenever possible, but I really don't sweat it too much. And another important factor is that I've really come to love the car. I love to drive it. I love to look at it. I even love to improve it (so I can enjoy driving it and looking at it all the more!). There are a ton of "subjective" factors that enter into play, too.

Good luck with your car search!
Mike