View Single Post
Old 06-10-2006, 02:34 PM

Map Pocket Removal and Fix

If you're like most w124 owners, the map pocket vinyl has peeled off. I found it easiest to fix with the pocket removed.

I. Remove map pocket from door panel
1. Everything circled in yellow must come off (above pic)
2. Slide the large clip in the middle left and then pull it out the bottom.
3. Remove the white clips - pinch the exposed sides together with a good pliers then pull out.
4. Remove the two screws holding the speaker grille on
5. Finally, there is one plastic rivet that must be broken. If you look at the pictures you will see that I used a small wood screw and washer when reattaching this part
II. Re-Glue the Vinyl
1. Get your blow dryer out to heat the material
2. Heat the material for ~10 seconds, then pull as much as you can over the lip and secure with a binder clip (pic)
3. I had a few inches secured with binder clips, then started at the beginning with the gluing.
4. Remove one clip at a time, heat the material again (~5 seconds) apply Super Glue Gel to the inner pocket, then strech the material over and reclip. (**Note: the metal clips can become quite hot)
6. After removing/gluing a few clips I would return to the part that I hadn't heated/stretched yet and repeat this process
The super glue dries relatively quickly (5 - 10 minutes) so I was able to get by with only 12 clips. You'll also see that I noted which clips had glue under them by folding down the inside part.
Attached Thumbnails
94 w124 door panel removal, door check replacement, map pocket fix - DIY-clips_1.jpg   94 w124 door panel removal, door check replacement, map pocket fix - DIY-clips_2.jpg   94 w124 door panel removal, door check replacement, map pocket fix - DIY-1quicktite.gif  

Last edited by skiier3_9; 06-10-2006 at 06:25 PM.