View Single Post
Old 06-12-2006, 12:19 PM

Great write-up, thanks and especially your pictures and details on which tools. Very helpful.

I would also emphasize the caution referred to on the other sites :

Quote:
First, a few caveats. Remember that this is a basic procedure, but not for the faint of heart. Make a misstep and you could end up with a mess; having an airbag explode in your face is neither fun nor cheap. Second, be prepared; once you have the airbag assembly off is not the time to find out you don't have the tool necessary to pull the retaining bolt.

Third, take your time; no sense in rushing. Last, be sure you have your owner's manual and radio code handy for all the reset procedures.

STEP ONE. Bring the steering wheel to almost center; I left it slightly left (as you can see in the photo) to permit easier access to the left airbag assembly bolt. Extend the steering wheel from the dash as far as it will go.

STEP TWO. Disconnect the negative lead from the battery. You can access the lead from the snap-off cover in front of the right-side rear passenger seat. It's a 7/16" nut. Be sure you have unlocked all doors and that the vehicle key is in your pocket. Close the door to extinguish the dome light, then remove the nut and pull the lug off the terminal end. I stuck the plastic cover halfway back in to ensure the cable lug wouldn't drift back over and make contact.
Thanks again

Haasman
'91 300E-Went to Ex
'65 911 Coupe (#302580)