Thread: Wobbly ride
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2006, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broxin
I too have been quite unsatisfied with the ride of my 94 SL500. My tires are quite old, so that may be part of it. I did improve the ride by replacing front cracked strut mounts.

Bobterry99, I see that the first part number refers to a "Strut Assembly Heavy Duty" and the other is "unavailable." How do I know if I am getting a softer strut when ordering from Phil or Bilstein directly?

Has anyone here replaced their shocks with 'softer' shocks and experienced improvement?
Both of those struts in Fastlane are the stiffer variety. I think you would have to call Phil and give him the 129-320-14-30 and 129-320-01-31 part numbers.

I have a '99 car to compare against a '90 car, and the ride of the newer car is better. But it still isn't as good as I would like it to be.

By the way, I owned an R230 for four weeks earlier this year. And I made several comparisons between this car, a '99 SL500, and a '96 SL500.

The higher starting torque of the '99's engine compared to the '96's engine was noticeable, to my surprise. The other comparison I made was in ride, of course. I drove a 5-mile circuit over a variety of surfaces near my house. There were times when I experienced cowl shake/jiggliness in the R129, but the ride in the R230 was always fantastic.