Thread: New shop
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2006, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Murrell
The cost of a "start-up" automotive repair facility in this day and age would be astronomical in my opinion, but who am I to shatter dreams.

Personally, I'd open a tattoo parlor. Low start-up cost compared to an auto shop and everyone in the world seems to want one, young and old.
At my age I'll never see it, but many years from now it is going to be an interesting sight to see a bunch of old women running around all tacked down with perky breasts.

Seriously I go along with my colleague, ILUVCELS, about opening a facility in this day and age. Unless you really know what you are doing and have lots and lots of money, I wouldn't try it. Since I closed my shop about five years ago and semi retired, I've started mentoring a young fellow who opened a shop a couple of years ago on a shoe string. I've bought him alot of equipment and council him on management. I've pissed off a lot of his friends and cheap customers, but he's learning that the clock ticks and the end of the month bills come and none of these people show up to help pay the bills. What I'm saying is to be successful in this business takes discipline, money, professional skills, and serious business acumen. You need all four to survive. If you don't have all four of these skills, you need a partner or partners. If you choose wrongly in this category, you will go down in flames. About 3 years ago I bought a hoist from a bankruptcy sale. I really felt for the guy who sunk everything he had into an upscale facility. He hocked all his property which was over $1,000,000 and put it into the business. His manager screwed him and he didn't even know what was happening. He lost everything. All I'm saying is: know what you are doing.