View Single Post
Old 09-13-2001, 01:51 AM
CheFrac is Back!

Transmission Questions

First of all, I have been able to hear a slight whistle from under the car (assuming the trans) when I have the car in reverse. It's very subtle, and is there only about 1/2 the time, and it's not loud. I can only hear it when I'm next to an object to bounce the sound. Nothing in archives regarding.

Also, I want to know what variants there are that can adversely affect the operation of a transmission, given the transmission itself is still good and in no need of a rebuild. I ask this because I *think* my transmission shifts weird under hard acceleration from 2nd to 3rd and somewhat from 3rd to 4th. This symptom may be psychological, because no one else notices it in any way. And it obviously can't be major due to it's lack of apparantness. It seems as though it "flares" ever so lightly between these 2 gear changes. But I thought flaring would be the other way around? When accelerate slowly, everythings seems fine, but when I accelerate hard, it "seems" as though the shift takes a little longer. I hope this makes sense... to my question: What can I check? Aren't there vacuum lines that can affect this? Do I have an adjustment (bowden?)? Everything else is absolutely fine with the trans otherwise. I just had new fluid and filter put in (last one done 15k miles ago, better safe than sorry since I drive the **** out of my poor trans!). Also, I Fletcher Jones only charges $75 for this! I was shocked... so cheap for them!

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give.

Previous:
1993 300E 3.2L Sedan w/ close to about 300k miles
2003 E500 Brilliant Silver (Had 217k miles when totalled!)
1989 300E with 289,000 miles (had for <1 yr while in HI)
03 CLK 500 cabrio (Mom's)
2006 C230k (Dad's)
1999 S420 (Mom's/Dad's)
2000 C230k Sport sedans
2001 CLK320 Cabrio (Mom's)
1995 C280 My First Mercedes-Benz... (155k miles. EXCEPTIONAL AUTOMOBILE. Was Very hard to let go of!)