View Single Post
Old 06-26-2006, 11:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endust
With so many potential things being off where do I start? How do i reset everything to spec and start over? It doesnt seem I have any trustworthy references to use as a baseline. Rip out the chain and remove the pump? I dont have the tools to press in a new chain link so I wanna make sure Im resetting everything as easily as possible.
The first thing to do is to check the camshaft timing via the 2mm valve lift method. There is a very good procedure in the DIY section written by Danny which will show you how to do this.

If you confirm that the cam is late by about 18 degrees, you need to advance the cam, relative to the crankshaft, by one tooth. This is not difficult to do, but, you must be careful not to lose any hardware down the chain gallery and you must suspend the chain from overhead to prevent loss of the chain around the crankshaft sprocket.

If you advance the camshaft and reinstall the cam sprocket, make sure you rotate the engine by hand with a socket wrench to be absolutely sure that you have rotation and the valves don't hit the pistons.

Once the camshaft is close to spec, then we deal with the IP timing.