View Single Post
Old 06-26-2006, 05:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDmills
Actually I filled the whole cooling system via the upper radiator hose where it goes into the block. The difference being that I took 20 minutes to allow the head/block to 'burp' half a dozen times.
Went and rebuild the rear brakes. Returned to add more coolant to the upper radiator hose. ( in the past it was just a 'fill it until it was full, attach to radiator, and test drive)
Topped off the expansion tank with about a quart of coolant, and went to bed.

Today, the tempature gage did not go past 80'C. put about 10 miles on the car, and in fact the tempature dropped from 80'C to 78 or so, on the down hill leg of the trip..
Excellent job. We knew it was a flow issue with the thermostat not seeing the actual coolant temperature in the head. I must say, however, that your engine is definitely one of the more difficult ones that I have seen. That's good info for others who can't seem to get the temps to stabilize.

My SD simply required filling the upper hose once.........and adding some coolant over the next several days.

Glad you got it fixed without spending a bunch of money on fan clutches, auxiliary fans.........etc.