View Single Post
Old 07-06-2006, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katja
I think the series system is 50A where the parallel is 80A, so I could imagine without a relay, you will destroy the pull-start switch. But I wonder if you could get away running the conversion glow plugs with a simple Radio Shack relay to handle the switching, an 80A fuse, and some homemade wires to connect the plugs.

And would you actually have to remove the coil/glow plug light in the dash? It would still operate in series with the parallel plugs wouldn't it? Might lower the current a little but I can't imagine it would be much. Maybe it would actually help the plugs last longer.

-AC
good point on the current... didn't realize the parallel system was 80A. Where did you get this number from? The relay itself is rated for 80A but there may be some marging built in to this number. BTW, I don't think you can get an 80A radio shack relay.

I know there has to be someone out there who has done this conversion...

The other thing I've been thinking about is to use the output of the glow plug light in the dash to activate an external relay (I have a GP relay I pulled from a 126 300sd)... not sure how the high resistance of the GP light in the dash will affect operation of the relay...
1981 VW Vanagon