Thread: GM foodfight
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2006, 12:57 PM
Cabernet red, actually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst
The allegations of an effect of genes jumping from a GM crop plant to milkweed were popular in the 1990's. I believe the crop was maize. Subsequent, detailed scientific analysis failed to substantiate the initial results.

To me, the greatest threat of GM plants is lowering the genetic diversity of the food crops. Back in the 1960's a highly productive hybrid maize was introduced. It produced so abundantly that for the next several years farmers around the USA planted that particular hybrid to the exclusion of others. Well, it turned out that a little known pathogen was able to take advantage of that particular hybrid and virtually wiped-out that hybrid corn crop throughout the USA. Southern Corn Blight.

By lowering the genetic diversity in crop plants we risk the same phenomenon of line-breeding seen in animals like hip displasia, etc.

Humanity is dependent on 7 grains, each of which is increasingly subjected to line breeding and now, GM breeding. This means that the major food source of the planet is exhibiting increasing dependence on human culture for its survival. That okay, just so long as we don't screw-up.

B
So there's no evidence that the GM corn crop had any effect on those monarchs? I didn't realize that.

1985 300D Turbo, CA model
248,650 miles and counting...