View Single Post
Old 07-15-2006, 07:21 PM

1984 300D - Some Questions

Greetings all.

I just purchased a 1984 Mercedes 300D and I have a few questions about it.

I bought the car from my boss, who knows a little about diesel engines, but he says he's not as knowledgable about the older ones.

I know next to nothing about car engines, but I have a friend who can help me if anyone here can give some insight.

1. When I begin to accelerate, it takes about 4 seconds for the engine to actually respond to the pedal. The car will roll forward, as most cars do when they are in drive, but the engine will not accelerate until about 4 seconds after I press the pedal. My boss thinks the turbo is going out, but I'm not sure. Driving in the "S" (sport?) gear helps a little, but not much. Any ideas?

2. The A/C blows air but does not get cold. What could be the cause of this, and how much would you guys estimate it would cost to repair? I live in Fort Worth, TX and it's freaking 105 degrees here LOL.

3. How the heck do you change the radio station? It's got the original factory radio in it, but I can't get the station to tune at all. I've tried every button (I think). Am I missing something?

Thanks for any help anyone could provide.