View Single Post
Old 07-16-2006, 06:40 AM
Who's flying this thing ?

Congrats on the new car!!!

Before replacing the antenna, if it actually came all the way up, maybe it needs to be lubricated. If you can get them, and want to splurge a bit, get Hirschmann antenna wipes and wipe once a week. Don't use WD40 because it will attract dirt to the antenna and muck it up eventually.

Is it the factory Becker radio? They are not one of the strong point for these cars. Maybe there was the factory MB radio pamphlet that came with the car to help you understand the operation of the unit? If not, maybe one could turn up at ebay or a MB junkyard; better yet, there are any number of Alpine and other aftermarket units that will fit in pretty nicely.

Keep with the original R12 refrigerant in the car, the R134 or other substitutes do NOT perform as well in your car, and the cost to convert is not worth it.

For what it's worth, the Becker radio and the Air conditioning are the 2 most common weak points of these older Mercedes, so you didn't get a lemon car, just one with typical issues.

Your particular car is one of the very best Mercedes models out there, so without knowing more, I think-and many here would probably agree with me- that you have just acquired one really nice car, and if you can keep up with the routine service and repairs, the car will last you to intergalactic mileages!

Theswe are really, really good cars!

1995 E 420, 170k "The Red Plum" (sold)

2015 BMW 535i xdrive awd Stage 1 DINAN, 6k, <----364 hp

1967 Mercury Cougar, 49k

2013 Jaguar XF, 20k <----340 hp Supercharged, All Wheel Drive (sold)