View Single Post
Old 07-16-2006, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Before replacing the antenna, if it actually came all the way up, maybe it needs to be lubricated. If you can get them, and want to splurge a bit, get Hirschmann antenna wipes and wipe once a week. Don't use WD40 because it will attract dirt to the antenna and muck it up eventually.
I just may do that, but I will probably leave the antenna up permanently. Most modern cars don't use electric powered antennas anyways

Quote:
Is it the factory Becker radio? They are not one of the strong point for these cars. Maybe there was the factory MB radio pamphlet that came with the car to help you understand the operation of the unit? If not, maybe one could turn up at ebay or a MB junkyard; better yet, there are any number of Alpine and other aftermarket units that will fit in pretty nicely.
I figured out how to operate it, it was in the owner's manual. I am the typical guy... I hate reading directions LOL. I'm planning on replacing the entire sound system anyways with a cd player and some new speakers. Circuit City is selling what I want for a total of about $250 - $300 for everything. And they seem to offer a VERY wide range of players that will fit the car. Go figure - I had more trouble finding a CD player for my 1999 Ford Explorer than I did for this car.

Quote:
Keep with the original R12 refrigerant in the car, the R134 or other substitutes do NOT perform as well in your car, and the cost to convert is not worth it.
I've gathered that reading the posts on this forum. I am already prepared for the almost inevitable line of bull***** from a mechanic about how I should covert the system. I have no plans in doing so.

Quote:
For what it's worth, the Becker radio and the Air conditioning are the 2 most common weak points of these older Mercedes, so you didn't get a lemon car, just one with typical issues.

Your particular car is one of the very best Mercedes models out there, so without knowing more, I think-and many here would probably agree with me- that you have just acquired one really nice car, and if you can keep up with the routine service and repairs, the car will last you to intergalactic mileages!

Theswe are really, really good cars!
After driving it for awhile, I'm conviced I got a good deal. This is going to be my project car. I am paying my boss (a personal friend of mine) $1000 for the car as is.

Quote:
I could tell you, or you could just search, and find so much information that your head will have a tendency to explode. This forum is the best source of information you'll ever receive for free. Spend some time reading, and you'll be speaking Mercedes in no time. Not trying to be a smart butt, just trying to help ya out. Welcome aboard, and enjoy your Mercedes.
Before I learn to speak Mercedes, I should learn how to speak German, so I can read all the freaking lables under the hood .

As for the ALDA, I'll keep up my searching, but I am also going to purchase a service book on the car. I would assume the process would be in there, complete with pictures.

Here is my planned list of fixes and improvements:

1. New CD player and 4 new speakers.

2. Reupholstery of the 2 front seats. Amazingly, the back seat is in very good condition for it's age, as is the headliner and sunroof (there is not a bit of rust on the entire car).

3. Finding a way to make the dashboard / instrument cluster lights brighter. How the heck did anyone deal with this in 1984? It's just as dark now as it was then LOL.

4. Fixing the A/C (preferably as soon as possible, since it is averaging 105 degrees during the day right now, but if I need a whole new A/C system, I'll have to save and have it done before next summer). I'm going to try the recharge first.

5. Fix the acceleration problem, hopefuly as simple as adjusting the ALDA, if I can figure out how . I also plan to take a look at all the filters on the car. I have no idea when they were last replaced.

6. Possibly buy a new instrument cluster altogether, as the fuel guage occasionally bounces around, and is hopefully inaccurate, because when I drove it home today from Irving (about 30 miles), the guage showed that I used about 1/4 tank of diesel, which I know is wrong. I haven't driven it long enough to figure out the gas mileage yet, and even if I had, the odometer and trip meter don't work, LOL.

7. Fix a few small things, such as the front dome light, which seems to operate with a mind of its own. It does not come on when the door is opened unless I fiddle with the knob on it. Unless it decides cto randomly come on while driving. There are a few pieces of plastic trim inside and outside the car that need replacing, a few junkayrd trips should do the trick. The lights that illuminate the shifter (P, N, D, etc) are going out, they go on and off at random. The seat belt light likes to flash at me whenever I go over a bump, maybe a little short in the system. A few of the rubber trim pieces in different sections of the car have come loose, easily fixed as well. And finally, the car shakes badly when it idles... I don't know how to fix this, or for all I know, it might be normal. I am going to purchase a service book on the car so I can fix most minor things myself.

And here are some interesting facts about the car (if anyone cares, LOL):

1. The glove compartment contained the original bill of sale. The first owner purchased the car in Lewisville, TX on Septemeber 10, 1984 for about $4,500. A Carfax report that I ran showed that I am the 8th owner of this car, and it has a clean title history. It has never been owned by anyone who lived outside of the DFW Metroplex (6 owners in Dallas, 2 in Fort Worth).

2. The original first aid kit that came from the factory is still in the back, in its white bag, and nothing in it has ever been touched.

3. There was a brand new tire in the trunk, along with the spare, and an entire unopened package of roofing shingles, which amazingly match the color of my roof exactly.

4. There is absolutely no rust on the car, which astounds me for it's age. That paint job is brand new, and the only body damage is on the roof, where it appears a rock or hailstone caused a single small dent before the new paint job was put on.

5. The entire engine is very clean for its age. It obviously was washed, but all of the parts are in excellent condition with no visible wear.

So anyways, that's the low down on my new car. So, if anyone made it this far, do you think I got a good deal?