Thread: 1999 E300 :mad:
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2006, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncof300d
I find that interesting because a friend of mine has driven nothing but 201's, W123's, and Pontons. He s nothing but a do-it-yourselfer, but he gets most of his parts through the dealership in Fort Wayne, IN. If Mercedes really does want to go away from supporting vehciles that are out of warranty their customer base will continue to shrink. Mercedes has such a mess right now. It will be interesting if Dieter can make anything of it. Perhaps he with 'Chryslerize' it. I hope that Mercedes can return to the glory of engineering that they once had, however, am not going to hold my breath.
The problem with MB started by the Chryslerization process in the 90s. It is not Chrysler that will improve MB, but it is Chrysler that has ruined it.

My experience has not been bad at all at getting parts for my cars, they are ordered at the dealer, usually over the phone, and even the most obscure parts that have to come from Germany will arrive within a week or two. The ones that are more common are usually there within a day or two. Sometimes the prices are surprisingly high for a relatively simple part and surprisingly low for one that I would have expected to pay much more for.

The problem you experienced with the dealer not being able to find the pump seals for the 606 IP has come up before and been solved the same way your dealer did it...by using the EPC for the earlier models. For some reason there is a bug in the EPC on the late 606 IPs that makes them believe the seals are not sold separately...but if a dealer does a lot of work on these they know how to get the parts...like I have said before...you have a bad dealer on your hands.

The incentive is for the dealers to do MORE out of warranty work not less...the in-warranty work is not nearly as profitable if the dealer is honest so they will look for out of warranty work to do...what they are not interested in is working on older cars...say more than 10 or 15 years old...as one who does that myself I can understand why...touch one thing and something else breaks...then you are blamed for it.

The gravy for them comes with working on cars 5-10 years old...out of warranty but not too old to be troublsome.

2013 C300 4Matic
1984 BMW 733i
2013 Lincoln MKz