View Single Post
Old 07-31-2006, 02:21 PM

The Solution

Well, after checking and re-checking everything was convinced that I had a air pocket problem.

Originally I filled the radiator with the front bolt on top of the head off until I saw coolant flowing out and then closed.

Started the car and it slowly overheated. Left the radiator cap and saw bubble occasionally come up.

Let cool overnight and noticed that the overflow had gone down. Added more coolant. Same result.

I then let it warm up to 120, and carefully backed off the front bolt on the top of the head. It pissed like steam. I let it finish pissing and cool, put a funnel in it and filled with coolant from here.

Now everything is fine and it does not get much above 80. Now why should I have had to do this to make sure the entire system had coolant? Nothing I have read states that you need to add coolant directly into the Head?

Anyway thanks much for all of your advice.

It was a real sanity check. Working on this Mercedes has really shakin my confidence. Over the weekend my 95 Jeep Cherokee had a Alternator go out. I had it replaced and functioning in less than 1 hour. Guess I will work on this to bust my self image every now and then. I really like these Mercedes cars, just wish the 2.6 190 was easier to work on. My hands don't fit anywhere in the engine compartment and nothing seems to be easily replaceable!