Beginner, New, Diesel, WVA, Tips, Help!
Brand new to the forum and drove home my 1983 MB 300SD Turbo today!
I bought this car with plans to convert to WVO as soon as I save up for a greasecar kit, and I have a feeling these older diesels are getting more and more popular for this purpose. I've been searching through this site for the last week for tips on how to maintain a MB diesel car - and I'm purposely being vague and wordy with my subject line and descripition for other newbies who bought their first diesel for WVO conversion to easily find this in a search.
So far by reading posts here I have plans to throw some pool noodles under the driver seat and run a diesel purge. Thanks everyone!
In the 20 minutes it took to drive my (new) car home today, I noticed several problems that I have questions about. I have searched for these problems but there are so many posts on here, I'm hoping to start over for all the beginners that are buying these cars now for WVO conversion.
Here is everything wrong with my car, and some general diesel questions. I'm sure some are common and can be found by searching this site, but it would be really helpful for us beginners to find it all on one thread!
1. Seat springs are shot. Pool noodles, got it, but what about the back seat?
2. Car smells pretty rank. Horsehair, charcoal in a bucket, Febreeze, suggestions?
3. Can't unlock the driver's side door from the outside.
4. Dash lights are out.
5. No owner's manual.
6. A LOT of play in the steering wheel.
7. The back seat and the shelf (?) - where the speakers & first aid kits are - came apart. Hard to describe, pictures to come.
8. Ignition is touchy. Have to get the key in the right spot.
9. When driving on the highway, the tachometer goes haywire - all over the place - or it doesn't work at all.
10. After I've been driving for a bit the oil gauge will go to the top when I'm accelerating and to the middle when I take my foot off the gas.
11. The clock doesn't work.
12. The leather is a little scummy.
That's all I can think of right now, but I've only owned the car for about 4 hours!
Now, general questions.
1. Do diesel pumps not have sensors that will cut flow when the tank is full? (like regular gasoline pumps)
2. Glow lights and other things former gasoline drivers don't know about.
4. Cold weather start advice.
5. Turbo. Is it working?
6. Because I'm going 0-60 in about 5 minutes.
7. What's with all the black smoke? Anyway to reduce that?
8. And really, any tips at all for someone who has never driven or owned a diesel before. Even the most basic stuff is necessary!
Also, remember that I am a extreme beginner, and there are probably others like me who are new to diesel engines and old Benz's looking for ways to fix these little problems. A lot of the posts I've read say things like "Easy for a beginner! First locate your torque-o-metric crank case hose shaft duct injector valve." Describing what the part looks like rather than just the Greek name would be really helpful! Links to posts on here would be awesome, instead of "do a search for dash lights." I did a search for dash lights and there were so many posts and none that outright solved the peoblem.
I'm sure this bugs for some people who know what they're doing, but I really want to learn this car. I don't want to go to a mechanic - I can't afford a mechanic!
So, thank you in advance for the help! I can't wait to drive.