Thread: Compressor Bad?
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2006, 02:43 PM
1981 300 SD

Question Compressor Bad?

I picked up an '81 300 SD three weeks ago. Over the past two weeks I have had a problem with the belts squeeling. It seems to happen only once the car has warmed up a little, and happens sitting at idle as well as while driving. I [I]think[I] it's happening just when the air conditioning is running, but here in Florida that is almost always.

I checked the belt tension, and that seemed fine to me. I applied belt dressing, with little improvement made to the intermittant squeel.

Yesterday, the squeel stopped. I think that was due to the compressor belt breaking.

Do I have a compressor that has the bearings seizing up? Is there a way to check it?

On prior inspection of the belt, it did not appear overly worn, but it certainly wasn't near new either.

I'm very mechanically challenged / ignorant. I would hate to go through the hassle of changing out the belts only to have the squeel re-appear and break another belt. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I would also like to know if anyone can recommend a reasonable MB repair shop in the Vero Beach, FL area.

Thank you