View Single Post
Old 09-28-2001, 11:11 AM
Electrons can do anything
It is an allen type screw opposite end of the output spline ( the spline going to the pittman arm.) Loosten the locking nut and turn it CW to remove the slack. What it does from my understanding is it moves the steering gear teeth / mesh closer together. The teeth are wedge shaped and moving them closer takes out any wear that has accumulated. I would refer you to the MB CD rom. They actually have you jack up the front of the car to remove any load on the steering system. Then adjust the allen CW till there is an increase in friction when turning the steering wheel. The increase is only noticed at the middle of the steering. I dont remember the numbers off the top of my head but the essence of it all is to adjust the allen screw until the slop is removed. It can be adjusted to taste. When I did my wifes car, I had it on the bench and adjusted the increase in torque by hand as per MB specs. Then afterwards it seemed to be too much once I had it on the road. However it did take out the hysteressis or dead zone in the steering wheel. I did not try to adjust it while on the car but I believe it is possible.
I got too many cars!! Insurance eats me alive. Dave

78 Corvette Stingray - 3k
82 242 Turbo Volvo - Manual - 270k
86 300e 5 speed manual - 210k
87 420sel - 240k
89 560sl - 78k
91 420sel - 205k
91 560sel - 85k
94 GMC Suburban - 90k
97 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail - 25k
00 GMC Silverado 1 ton 30k