View Single Post
Old 10-01-2001, 12:00 PM

Help identify this part! (sunroof?)

I'm reassembling my sunroof and I found these parts in the back seat. I think the paint shop guy removed them - they don't look familiar to me.

I'm guessing they're sunroof parts, but I can't figure out where they go. They are matching pair of long, lightweight rails made of chromed steel. One end is curved and the other end is flat. The're an "L" shape cross-section. They are longer than the sunroof is deep but shorter than it is wide. They have fine scratches along the inner surface as if something is intended to slide back and forth on them. There aren't any holes or notches to screw them in anywhere.

I don't think they attach to the sliding panel itself, and I can't find anywhere in the interior of the roof that they would fit. They might not have even come from the sunroof. Perhaps they came from the windows. Perhaps they came from a different car that was at the body shop, and managed to find their way into my back seat. Frustrating!!

Any help? Anyone got an exploded diagram of the sunroof?The service manual doesn't mention them, and I'm anxious to get my sunroof back together.

Thanks.

- Nathan
'83 240D "Steiner"
'00 new Beetle TDI
Attached Thumbnails
Help identify this part! (sunroof?)-rail2.jpg