View Single Post
Old 08-27-2006, 08:23 AM

Thank you all so far. The general consensus says not to do it. I have been messing with it in the kitchen a little, though. I put two cups or so in a saucepan and had it melted comepletely in 2 minutes on the stove. I know the stove focused the heat a lot more and it was not a good test but I was amazed at how long it stayed liquid even after it was cool to the touch. I also drilled a hole in some fins of an old Pentium 2 heat sink and put in a glow plug. I laid this thing in a pie tin and put a pound or so of lard on top and within 20 seconds of applying 12V, there was liquid flowing out. It took 20 minutes to completely melt the lump but the glow plug wasn't even all the way in the pie tin, it was all in at an angle and only a small percentage of the heat sink was in, so it wouldn't short out. I can see with a small 5 gallon fuel system (maybe underhood) that is heated well with 2 glow plugs and coolant and some nichrome wire on the injector lines, it may work. Probably not the best stuff when WVO is still easy (relatively) and plentiful. I may still work on it a little. Thanks again.

1984 300D, 246k, veggie, sold
1982 300SD 301k