View Single Post
Old 08-28-2006, 10:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RML View Post
Hey Brian & Sam: I had a chance to inspect the vacuum system in my '84 300D yesterday between rain showers. The first thing I noticed was that orifices 4 & 5 in the central plug (71 on the diagram) were open. It shows it this way in the diagram so I assume this is OK, but I decided to plug them anyway. I figured it could not hurt anything, unless of course they are designed to expell or take in small amounts of air. I hope not. Not owning a BB gun or BB's, I found that a 16p nail cut off about 1/2" form the head works nicely. The flare at the base of the head makes a nice seal and the guage of the nail is sufficiently large to offer a bit of resistance and therefore some staying power in the rubber vacuum tubing.

As I followed the lines I found that the rubber vacuum connecting line between the the Thermo-vacuum valve (36a in the diagram) and the wh/pu/br line was broken and wide open. My assumption is that this valve is not open until it senses 40 degrees C so I was not losing vacuum until this point was reached. I found enough spare hose on another connection to cut a piece off and repair this one, along with the wh/br vacuum line to valve connection which was looking pretty rotted as well. I had the car out on the highway today and it felt like it had more power at highway speeds.

This brings me to my main question, which is, if I want to cut out the EGR system, where do I do it? It looks like perhaps I should pull the white line running from the T to the Central Plug and put a plug in the T. But does this leave the black line running from the Central Plug to the Fuel injection pump (66 in the diagram) open? Now that I re-read your instructions, I think you are saying to pull the black line as well and put a plug in the T near the Fuel injection pump. What happens to the line going to the Thermo-vacuum valve. It would seem that I just would put a plug in the #1 orifice in Central plug.

Another question - I assume the rubber vacuum tubing is pretty standard stuff available at any auto parts store, but are the T's and various colored vacuum lines proprietary to MB?

Thanks for you valued help.

Richard
The openings in the central plug, #4 and #5 do absolutely nothing. When we get done, all five openings will do absolutely nothing.

Pull the white line and plug the T. Or get rid of the T and connect the two remaining ends with a short piece of hose.

Pull the black line and plug the T. Or get rid of the T and connect the two remaining ends with a short piece of hose.

Pull the line out of the central plug that goes to the thermo-vacuum valve and throw it away.

Leave the central plug wide open.........plug nothing.

The hose is 4mm hose.........it's a bit smaller than the "standard stuff". The existing hard Tecalan lines won't fit the "standard stuff". You need the metric hose.