View Single Post
Old 09-01-2006, 09:25 AM
Sportlines

Talk about combative. You wrote, "I personally have better things to do then troll the internet asking questions about stuff I have no interest in."

How do you reach that conclusion? I am just participating in one of two forums I belong to. I don't troll. I think I am free to ask questions about anything I care to ask about. By protesting so much, you
are broadcasting a reluctance to answer questions about this car. You are not helping your cause.

You see I have always had the courage to be blunt and ask hard questions. Not combative, just to the point. 20 years of Fortune 500 management, and 10 years of consulting helping others to better manage their business has firmed up my conclusion that one of the biggest problems in business, and in society is the reluctance to ask difficult questions fearing it might hurt someone's feelings, or make waves. People don't ask, and therefore get a false picture of the situation. This cautious approach is particularly harmful during employee performance evaluations. Timid managers can't bring themselves to tell like it is. The employee goes along year after year thinking everything is great. Then they get fired for sub-standard performance. Can't tell you how many times I've witnessed this.

I recently, last week, was in a small operation where the owner (125K a year) guy was out in the plant running a machine. He had been running it for 3 weeks. I'm his new paid consultant. This was my first day on-site. I asked him what in the hell he was doing running a machine. He really didn't like the question. He got kind of mad at me. He couldn't answer the question. I asked him to think about it overnight. Next morning he apologized, and said he would immediately find someone to run the machine. He doesn't like managing and was avoiding it. I call it the head in the sand syndrome.
Very common among sales guys who end up running their own show.

You might just consider thinking about my questions, and why you view them as combative. They are only combative if you choose to take them that way.

And finally, please don't presume to tell me what I can or can't write. You really don't have the slightest bit of power in the matter.

Steve