View Single Post
Old 09-09-2006, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrain300D View Post
I know that the wiring harness can be an issue - is there anyway to get a look at this...

Are there any other engine issues to be aware of when inspecting/driving it? The only gas powered Benz I've ever driven was a 98 ML320, so I'm not sure what to expect from the E320.
Thanks for any advice in advance.
  • Look at the domed thermostat cover on the water pump. There are wires from the harness that connect to it. If the wires are exposed at the connectors, where they attach at the thermostat cover, and insulation is receding behind them, the harness is shot. If insulation completely covers the wires, all the way to the connector, the harness is probably OK -- or new.
  • Watch the coolant temperature level. It should not go above about 90C or so. If it does, it should abruptly, and rapidly, drop as the aux fans kick in. (If it does not drop then the fans are not working, or the antifreeze to water ratio is too high.) You may also notice the fuel gauge abruptly jerk from one level to another then back. This occured on every E320 I have driven, except one, and mine has done that at least twice before. Seems to be a 95E320 thing.
  • A/C should be uncomfortably cold at full blast.
  • My car shifts strongly and quickly -- at least 2 upshifts before 20mph. (I do not know if that is normal or not.) Bring a napkin to theck the trans fluid color -- should be bright red.
  • Open the oil filler cap. You should see shiny silver metal. Use napkin to check color of oil on dipstick, which should be golden brown.
  • Make sure the radio works and the amps are not blown. Make sure all the windows roll up and down silently and smoothly, as well as the sunroof. Try to restart about 10 times or so during your test drive, to flush out any recently-cleared "Check Engine" codes. Make sure seats operate, including headrests and heaters.
  • Make sure headlight wiper hoses are intact, otherwise, when you hit the windshield washer when the lights are on, your car will become a rolling Super Soaker, drenching anything, or anyone, within about 6 feet in front of you. (Don't ask me how I know this. )

------------------------------------
Gone but not Forgotten:
2001 E430 4matic, 206,xxx miles, Black/Charcoal
1995 E320, 252,xxx miles, Black/Grey
1989 260E, 223,00 miles, Black/Black