View Single Post
Old 09-10-2006, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
6-Speed Conversion:
I'm still sourcing some parts to help design the conversion, such as a worthless Benz auto box that's full of shrapnel so I can cut the front off it.
I am also still investigating the grafting of a GM diff into the car to resolve the final drive ratios. It looks possible, and means that I could use a shortened GM tailshaft too, but I still have more measurements to take. This would be good in that all the serviceable parts would be cheaper than Benz parts, and various useful diff ratios are already available for GM's.
I'm talking about converting an 1990 R129 500SL, but there are many of you with 500E cars. I would be interested if somebody could post the differences between the two cars as they relate to this type of conversion. Info such as the dimension from the engine block face to the front of the shifter hole in the tunnel would be useful, etc.
The idea is that if I deem it all worthwhile, I would eventually CAD everything then provide a kit to the general market (left & right hand drive). Getting my own car sorted will take some time and would take preference over development of the kit, but at least I could provide some items or information along the way. This could take a while to come to fruition, so be patient!
There are probably a few of you who are keen for something like this. It would be interesting to know how many of you are out there, but be realistic: This isn't likely to be cheap but then it won't be unreasonable either.
Keep the information flowing!

Crank

PS: RIP Steve Irwin & Peter Brock. Two Aussie Legends that will be missed!
Crank, where are you located? I just happen to have a 500E tranny that I am wanting to take a saw to. Also the 500E body is on a spit so taking measurements are very easy since the car can be rolled very easy at this point.

With your salute to Perfect Peter, I am guessing you might be an Aussie which would make face to face collaboration a bit of a stretch to Kentucky.

1992 500E -- 1993 500E -- 1993 500E -- 1988 560SEC AMG
1992 300E -- 1988 300SEL TT -- 1980 280SL -- 1968 280SE

I need a Twelve Step Program...or a Twelve Car Garage!