View Single Post
Old 09-14-2006, 11:09 PM
gimme a low-tech 240D

Yeah the inline 6cyl develops amazing torque. An incredibly smooth engine compared with 4cyl gasoline cars too. Personally i dont buy into any of this Diesel Vs. Gasoline discrimination. Consider also this is your first(?) w123, last of the square body cars before MB started building vehicles that look like cell phones.

1982 was a pretty good year for the 240D. Improved case-hardening of camshaft lobes and did something with the engine to add a few extra horses. Adjusting the valves and replacing fuel filters is about all a tune-up amounts to. Weaknesses on the 123 include nylon steering box bushings and electrics like windows and sunroof. And the AC compressor on 123's is hopeless. Rim on the thing is press-fitted and never holds a seal, said to be interchangable with another unit but i forget which one.

Are you expecting this to be your summertime driver? Thing about diesels is they work best if driven long distances. Around town at low rpm's the piston crowns, pre-combustion chambers and valves often foul from carbon deposits build up from unburnt fuel. Highest and best use of the car is probly long haul cross-country runs, say driving 75-80mph all day.

Will be interesting to hear your impression of the 123. Personally I prefer the 114/115 for tighter handling. 123 advantages include a more soundproof and better insulated passenger compartment. Also better seats then you find on 1973+ w114's and 115's.

50th birthday huh? So instead of getting a walker or wheelchair, you've settled on an automatic 240D.