View Single Post
Old 09-20-2006, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spark3542 View Post
I have to agree with Greasy_Beast...the original thread was "could my speedo be off by 10mph?"...NOT "please discuss whether I should have been driving 107mph"

If you don't know all the details, don't impart your values.
You're kidding, right?

The point in the post that brought about my own 'what the hell was he doing that speed in an antiquated piece of machinery' reaction was the "So.. I was coming home from church, just minding my own business on a deserted freeway..." bit-- If that isn't full of lies of omission-- I'll eat a bug.

Everyone KNOWS a speedometer can be off, and that 205 tires will most likely(IIRC my own car has 195 and those are mostly correct) make it read just a bit low.

I am surprised that noone mentioned that these cars were 'localized' for 55mph travel-- he was doubling the speed intended for our market-- the equivalent of traveling 140-150mph in a new 320cdi. It isn't as if the guys here that posted the replies in question intended to make the starter of the topic leave the board, or that he shouldn't be allowed to drive at all. It is more an example of 'tough love,' and ought to be taken with a grain of salt-- we value each opinion given-- what fun would it be if every reply was "yes, a speedometer can be off?"