View Single Post
Old 09-24-2006, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyService View Post
The sunroof has been rattleing in the 560 for about a week now, so I made an appointment with Bob King Pontiac-Buick-GMC-Mercedes of Wilmington, NC. They mailed me a coupon for a free 27 point "safety" inspection. The service advisor said that the sunroof was probably just off track, and if it was they'd fix it for free. Also, they'd grease my power antenna (2 parts of the mast go up but one doesn't), and replace the little rubber grommet at the bottom for the cost of the grommet. I figure that they'll also try to scare me into a '07 S550 by telling me things I already know such as:
1. Oil leak
2. Transmission Fluid Leak
3. Power Steering Leak
4. HVAC- Blower Failure
5. Suspension needs repair
Basically, with the help of this forum, and with my MBUSA CD Manual, I'm trying to work through all of this as best as a local mechanic, who rarely works on anything but a big 3 product in his service station can . What I was wondering about was how to get them to tell me exactly Where the fluids are leaking, and Which suspension parts are shot.
Thanks, Dave.
Hmmm,

Sounds like a waste of time really. Most MB dealers don't have anyone who can work on 140's anymore let alone 126's due to the high turnover in the industry. I have found that most dealership mechanics are inept and unskilled. I would not let those guys within 50 feet of one of my cars even for a 27 point check. Most of these mechanics have just gotten out of school and are just parts swappers in an enviroment where getting cars in and out the door is more important than correct repair and diagnosis.

Back when I was driving Volvo S70's the dealerships broke more on my car than they repaired. One time their incompetence caused a small fire on the inside of my door panel which caused it to have to be replaced. After that experience I stopped going to the dealers. I got better service from the independants in my area. Even though they did not have $500 danish and "free" loaner cars they were cheaper and did a better job.

If you do waste your time expect for the MB dealer to try and scare you into expensive repairs. None of the information you will get from them will be objective at all. They make their money by "scaring" the owners of late model cars that don't need work. Imagine what they will say when you bring your 126 in that likely does need work. Expect to get a hard sell and even be insulted by the service advisor when you decline the work. He will say something like "its really a shame that a car like this is not maintained well" or something else meant to embarass you into paying for their overpriced and substandard service.

Find yourself a local independant and have them go over the car. Its likely they work on several of these cars on a regular basis and know what to look for and know what's important to fix first.