View Single Post
Old 09-25-2006, 09:52 AM
Vintage Moderator

1L in 100mi is way more than valve stem seals I believe. With the angle I used to be parked at, the oil would sit in the head overnight rather than draining out, resulting in smoke about 5 seconds after firing, lasting for about 15 seconds (longer in the winter), leading me to believe it all accumulated in the exhaust.

I've heard reports of some m117's loosing a cam oiler (cracked with age? Cracked due to human error? Unsure why). Once that oiler is loose, if it happens to shoot oil in the top rear of the right valve cover (your driver's side), oil will travel through the breather hose into the intake. I think you can imagine what happens after that. Aside from this issue, I highly doubt it'd be a head gasket issue - I THINK the only oil pathway going from the block to the head is in the rear for the camshaft oiler tube. I'll double-check and make sure about what that small path between each cylinder is... If it's leaking from there I suppose it could be the issue but only 1 or 2 cylinders would be burning oil if this is the issue. I have never heard of catastrophic ring failure on these engines.

Previous:
1972 280SE 4.5
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited "Hefe", 1992 Jeep Cherokee Laredo "Jeepy", 2006 Charger R/T "Hemi"
1999 Chrysler 300M - RIP @ 221k