View Single Post
Old 09-26-2006, 08:42 AM
1971 280SE 3.5 (Celia)

Interesting points Tomit1

I have to admit that I am not 100% convinced myself, mainly due to the fact that any blown gasket I've seen (though not on these engines) has produced a oil filler cap like a yoghurt tub, and there has been oil in the coolant. In answer to your question, there is no oil in the coolant that I can detect and I do not seem to be losing any or producing any jacuzzi effects. The radiator cap looks a bit dodgy actually so I'll change it, but I like to check fluid levels regularly so I don't think its going down.

Re the cylinder pressure test, I am hoping to con my mechanic friend into doing one for me, though I am presently unsure if he has the correct equipment to do so, a compression test at the very least will be done.

The car is indeed an auto transmission, and to be honest I never gave the tranny a second thought.....guess what I'll be doing tonight. Having said all of that, Tomguy and others have scared me enough to get at least the rocker covers off and the cam oiler tubes cleaned etc so I've ordered some bits for that today...it would be REALLY nice not to have to do the gaskets though as it would prolong my motoring this year.

Does the vacuum modulator have a rubber diaphragm by any chnage and can this rupture ? I'll be down there anyway as I've been replacing all the old rubber hoses and I believe that there is short section on the end of the metal take off pipe from the manifold. As for the bit it's self, can the diaphragm be replaced or is it a new modulator ? If so are we talking big bucks ?

I'll let you know what happens.

Alan