View Single Post
Old 10-15-2001, 04:22 PM
MB Shop Retiree

Well when I was 16 (now 20) I had a nice 1987 Audi Special Build coupe GT Quattro. 2.3 hi-compression 5-cylinder with about 180hp stock. That beats the current 190E 2.6 I have now with a straight 6 2.6L. You want a blast, try 4wd, and a steal for $800 from an insurrance auction due to theft recovery. Had the engine, tranny, and all driveterrain, but engine seized up, and most interior parts where missing. Missing bumper, and rear hatch.

After 2 months, we had the engine swapped out for a V6 VW Corrado (only require Engine mount mods, and fuel injection, along with other normal wiring) and its 5-speed manual with little mods fit right in with the quattro driveline. The front brakes where swapped, as well as the hubs to fit a 5-bolt wheel pattern. Neuspeed was the only tuner back then I really knew off, and we used their suspension, roll bars, springs, Blistein shocks, struts, and a Borla Universal muffler, gutted exhaust, with a hi-flo catalytic.

After all that, we used lower compression rods, and got Twin Turbos mounted on. and had the car 0-60s in the low 6s. The best part of the entire car was its steering feel, and light and nimble handling. With less then $6000 put into the car (still needed interior work) it was a blast. All until one day, with summer tires and freezing rain, its 4wd just let go and rapped around a pole when my father drove it.

So now I have his 190E, and dad/mom have a new car. Now mom gets his, and dad's getting something newer.

I would say, one thing, I love MB's old Inline 6, only thing to beat them is the throtle response on BMW's. If you want a nice RWD car, look at a 92+ BMW 325 coupe or 4dr, in a stick. You will be surprised. the VW/Audi line is great, but something about FWD doesn't do it for me. The driving/handling quotient of German vehicles is trule unique.

Now being 20, the Benz is a short-stop, until my younger brother inherits it. Till then, My dad is getting something (hopefully the C32, but he wants the S500 Sport.) If you want something to modify easily, then German isn't the way. Your better off trying something else, like an 3rd Gen RX-7s. I agree, those are incredible. My friend has a 95 RX-7, a chip, and simple exhaust with free flowing air intakes. Hes just around 300 from 255hp.

Its quick, RWD, and a blast.

Good Luck, take care.
- 97 Acura NSX-T
- 99 BMW E36 M3 w/500+ HP
- 04 Lexus RX330
- 04 Dodge Dakota Quad 4x4 V8

4 Sale:
- 99 BMW M3 E36 Coup with Dinan SC, Upgraded to an RMS Stage 3 with Aftercooler, 12psi, and 500+hp @ flywheel.