Thread: Cluster Funk
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2006, 08:41 PM

Cluster Funk

Howdy!!
1999 ML430

Cluster has gone screwy or possibly electrical issue.

I changed out the CPS when I got the usual symptoms but alas it turned out to be the fuel pump which was then installed by the dealer as well as the harmonic balancer as per the bulletin.
Five minutes out of the dealership, I get warning lamps. Oil lamp intermittent, low range lamp intermittent, check engine light intermittent, low dash light output, faulty outside temp readout, fluctuating engine temp gauge needle. They of course will not accept responsibility despite these issues never having occurred before. I'm done trying to reason with them which ended up with me barking like a mad dog and looking like a jackass.
Tonight when I opened the door without the key in the ignition, the lcd readout in the cluster was normal brightness and the outside temp gauge was correct.As soon as I turned the ignition the outside temp gauge dropped to -36 and the lcd's dimmed once again. Soon after the warnings began to flash. I should add that I hooked up my scanner and could pull no warnings out of the ecu leading me to believe it's in the cluster itself. Oil level is correct and the car seems to be operating normally. Where would I start to look for signs of a faulty cluster? Thanks and sorry for the length.