View Single Post
Old 10-25-2006, 01:07 AM

Used MB as First Car for Niece?

I have a young niece down in Lockhart TX, 30 miles south of Austin. She'll be turning 18 next month, and graduating from high school early next year. Both her and her parents have been looking for a vehicle for her, to get a part time job so she can start putting away money for college, and as transport to and from school. Their family finances are rather tight right now, and her old soft-hearted uncle has offered to help out.

Two vehicles I've considered are both MB diesels. One is an '87 300D Turbo I've checked out first hand here in NC, 136K miles, $4500. Another I found on autotrader this morning, an '83 300SD Turbo, 161K miles, $4700, down in TX about 30 miles from their location.

My first concerns would be her lack of automotive maintenance skills, and limited financial means when it comes to getting the car serviced or repaired if something goes south. Given this, perhaps something more mainstream, such as a Honda Civic, where experienced mechanics and parts would be more readily available (and potentially cheaper) would be a better choice.

Bottom line is, we want to get her something safe, reliable, decent gas mileage, relatively inexpensive to maintain and service, with as little potential as possible for becoming a money pit for unanticipated repairs.

So I'm asking for opinions either way - would a used MB diesel be a good choice, or would the mainstream/Honda Civic route be better in this case? Also, would anyone be able to recommend a good MB diesel mechanic/shop in that area (Austin/San Antonio) where she would be able to get the car serviced/repaired without spending a fortune at the dealer?

Mitchell Oates
Mooresville, NC
'87 300D 212K miles
'87 300D 151K miles - R.I.P. 12/08
'05 Jeep Liberty CRD 67K miles
Grumpy Old Diesel Owners Club