View Single Post
Old 10-27-2006, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfsburg View Post
1987 300DT 195K
Problems began after replacing metal and rubber fuel lines at tank. At first the car ran ok after replacing fuel lines, maybe 100 miles, then it had little to no acceleration, then I could not get the RPM’s over 1500 while in park, (idled well at this time) replaced fuel filters,Then it was slowly down hill with it running for a few seconds then would die and now does not start. Turns over nicely, and almost starts. I had the ALDA off and put it back ( did a 1 turn CCW) on and replaced plastic and rubber connections to and from the switchover valve. Doors open and lock per normal. There is a little air in the pre filter about as much when the car was running well. Can one test the fuel pump somehow if it is ok, or do they simply just quit and that’s it??? I probably had a lot of crap come out of the fuel tank when I emptied it. It flowed out very well and when I just did the pre filter fuel was coming out of the feed line as per normal. I also changed over the feed and return lines but I did that before I installed another pre filter, no change, put it back to original way. Pre filter had some dirt but I just replaced it. No leaks to be seen anywhere. I have not again replaced the spin on as it has maybe 4 miles on it…Still no start. Any ideas from someone…It is cool today here about 40F.
You may be having the same problem as me, the way I have been getting my car to start is to purge air out of the lines by loosening the injection lines (6 14mm blocks on the rail), cranking the engine, and tightening them back as you see fuel bubble out. I will have my mechanic check for leaks in the fuel system when I have it in for routine maintenance at some point next week..

Also, make sure if you do this not to knock out the hose that connects to the engine cutoff, mine has a green fitting end, if it pops out the motor won't stop. Very easy to pop out when loosening the fuel lines closest to the firewall.

Last edited by MathewHennessy; 10-27-2006 at 02:13 PM. Reason: a gotcha