View Single Post
Old 11-11-2006, 09:17 AM

I've noticed the AM/SW/LW Blaupunkt in my vintage DKW doesn't pick up much other than AM during the day. I think the only sound I've ever heard on the LW band is the buzz from power lines or neon lights. The unit's Shortwave works pretty well at night. It's pretty neat hearing German broadcasts in a vintage German car.

Back in the '80s, I had a Blaupunkt Frankfurt S 4-band radio in my '71 Audi wagon. It was interesting being able to receive Canadian broadcasts, for a different slant on the news from US programs. Also liked being able to pick up the FM audio from Richmond's CBS TV channel 6 and enjoy hearing '60 Minutes' and 'All in the Family' on those long Sunday night trips back from my parent's Virginia Beach home to Alexandria.
I really missed the Blaupunkt when it died and the 'modern' cassette replacement didn't have shortwave or an FM band wide enough to pick up channel 6.

I've seen European 4-band versions of the W123 Becker cassette radio on eBay. It would be pretty cool to have a working one for my '82 240D.

Happy Motoring, Mark

Last edited by Mark DiSilvestro; 11-11-2006 at 09:26 AM.