View Single Post
Old 11-12-2006, 02:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apotheoun View Post
Hi Brian,

I see you have an '84 SD, which may still have the original 14" bundt wheels like my newly aquired '84 300 SDS (stick-shift). Do you have Michelin HydroEdge tires intalled on this car too? I see they are available in the original specified 195/70 R14 size. I just had this very same tire and size on my former 240D, and loved the bad weather drivability of them, even though they were oversize for those steel rims. I felt safe.

The SDS just came with a new set of Yokohama Avid 205/70 R14, which look good but scare me to death in the rain, so far. I am getting virtually no traction starting from a stop, up hills and around curves. The SDS is really slipping in the rear, like the 240D never did. Tire pressures seem correct. Is the SD W126 body more prone to fish-tailing than the W123, or is it purely those cheap but highly touted tires?

Is there an advantage to return to the original 195/70 R14 size in a Michelin HydroEdge, over the larger Yokohama's? Does anyone have experience with either tire, or have a good recommendation? Thanks in advance!

Garth

The SD still has the 14" Bundts with Michelin MX4 215-70-14's. These tires have proven extremely durable and are approaching 90K. They were originally purchased when I had the W123 and I transferred them to the W126 four years ago. They are getting a bit long in the tooth due to their age.

The Hydroedge are on the '86 SDL and I've got no complaints regarding them.

Can't comment on the Avids. I've got two of them on the front end of the Dodge Van, but, the van never pushes it's tires to any kind of limit.

I don't think the W126 is more prone to sliding the back end around. If the tires don't suit your driving style, the vehicle is going to slide more than you wish. Most 80K tires have such hard compounds that sliding them in the rain is not all that difficult to do. Can't tell you if the Hydroedge is prone to sliding.........the SDL is never pushed to it's limits.........but, I can say that I have complete confidence in the SDL during heavy rain and speeds of 75 mph. There is never the slightest feeling of sliding.