View Single Post
Old 11-12-2006, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Carlton View Post
The SD still has the 14" Bundts with Michelin MX4 215-70-14's. These tires have proven extremely durable and are approaching 90K. They were originally purchased when I had the W123 and I transferred them to the W126 four years ago. They are getting a bit long in the tooth due to their age.

The Hydroedge are on the '86 SDL and I've got no complaints regarding them.

Can't comment on the Avids. I've got two of them on the front end of the Dodge Van, but, the van never pushes it's tires to any kind of limit.

I don't think the W126 is more prone to sliding the back end around. If the tires don't suit your driving style, the vehicle is going to slide more than you wish. Most 80K tires have such hard compounds that sliding them in the rain is not all that difficult to do. Can't tell you if the Hydroedge is prone to sliding.........the SDL is never pushed to it's limits.........but, I can say that I have complete confidence in the SDL during heavy rain and speeds of 75 mph. There is never the slightest feeling of sliding.
Thanks Brian!

I think my driving style (or lack thereof) has little to do with the tire slipping. It is hard to get this car started at a green light, or track correctly around a corner without fish-tailing, at all, even at low speeds in the rain. These Avids just slip and spin!

It's thrilling to hear you have 90K on those MX4's. Isn't that a large size for those bundtcake wheels, or is this within normal limits? The HydroEdge does not come in a 205, or 215/70 R14 size.

Garth

2001 E320 4MATIC WAGON desert silver/tan, 169K
1986 300SDL black on black, 240K

1984 300 SDS (stick-shift) 209K.....now reborn as a 1983 300SD (stick-shift facsimile of the former 84) 274K

1982 240D (sold!) 264K