View Single Post
Old 11-15-2006, 09:14 PM
Colonel Blitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPokey View Post
I have been working on the front brakes of my TD, when I ran into a problem. The bolt holes that hold the caliper to the steering knuckle were cross-threaded and galled, so I bought the Craftsman rethreading kit and got to work.

Working with a ratchet I would run the tap in 1/2 - 1 turn then back out a few. Every once in a while I would remove the tap completely, clean it off and re-oil. Standard tap techniques (I thought). After cleaning out the upper hole, I went to work on the lower one. Just as I had the tap almost all the way through, it broke off as I was backing it out! I guess it will be a trip down to the machine shop for this knuckle.

Is it recommended to heli-coil these holes, or should I be looking for another knuckle?
I dont see why you cant go the next tap up, isnt the hole on the caliper a clearence hole anyways?

NEVER use a rachet for threading. Use a tap handle, as it lets you "feel" the tap. TapMagic (or and other high-sulfer oil) is a must. I stay far away from craftsmen threading tools, as tools bought from a tool supply house (IE production tool supply) are usually cheaper and a bit more robust. Just be sure to ask for a hand tap, as they usually try to sell you a plug tap. NO spiral flutes tao either. You want a HSS tap (NOT carbon.) and you may also need a "bottoming" tap, to get those last few threads set.