View Single Post
Old 11-19-2006, 12:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickg View Post
I've read the DIY Article, and after I did the Quick method (aligning the tower/cam gear) I'm at 5degrees(+ or - a degree) so that should mean I need a 6 degree keyway right? to get my alignment to 11 degrees ATDC. SO once the woodruff key is in and I align the tower marks again I should read 11 degree on the crank pully....Right?? not 0
You've got the two methods confused.

The quick method, using the tower marks, should have the reading at 0 degrees on the crankshaft damper when the marks are perfectly aligned. This is not easy to do.......the mark must be right in the middle of the notch.........if you pass it slightly, you cannot reverse it and get the proper reading.........you must go around twice and try it again.

The "proper" method, using the two millimeter valve lift, uses the specification of 11 degrees ATDC with a used chain on the crank pulley.

Presumably, if you're 5 degrees late with the quick method, the "proper" method will read 16 ATDC on the crank pulley. However, rarely do the two methods agree exactly. The proper method is more accurate.

There are Woodruff keys available for crankshaft readings of 4, 6.5, 8, and 10 degrees ATDC.